BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Tuesday, August 2, 2011

"So, so small..."

There is no better word to describe the feelings I experienced today other than convicting. I walked through the poorest area I'd ever seen - an overcrowded slum, which not only smelled rancid but was also covered in filth. In these sorts of living conditions, you would expect the people to be hopeless and depressed, but I can sincerely say this was not the case. We encountered some of the most joyous, excited young children as we walked through the shacks and marketplaces, and met with a CCT loan recipient who literally radiated with happiness, actively living out Philippians 4:4, which says, "Rejoice in the Lord always. I will say it again: rejoice!
As anyone who knows me is aware, it is a rare occurrence that I be at a loss for words, but this was the reality for most of this morning. When you are faced with such intense poverty and squalor, it is hard to process your emotions clearly. As we walked through a seemingly never-ending marketplace, filled with raw fish and vegetables displayed on small wooden tables, I began to feel sick and claustrophobic, as I could not see where the tents ended and the daylight began again. When I shared this sentiment in the van as we left the site, Rob noted that this is very symbolic of these peoples' lives. They are stuck in decrepit living conditions, with almost no way of escaping this life. Nevertheless, there are some individuals who are doing things to make a change, such as the loan recipient we met in the marketplace. This inspiring woman has been saving up since her eldest daughter was young so that she could send her to university, where she will study to be a doctor. We even blessed to be able to meet her four children, as she excitedly welcomed us into her home. What she said as we were leaving will stay with me forever: "So, so small... but so, so happy." And I promise you she meant it.
It felt like we drove all around the city today, mainly because the monsoon rains caused traffic to come to almost a standstill. Before visiting the loan recipients, we went to a CCT location where they are currently building another water purification center. For lunch we went to Wholistic Transformation Resource Center (WTRC) with David Bussau and his team, where we were treated a lovely buffet of traditional Filipino food. We listened to Ziggie (one of the team members) present information on Waterhope, which is WTRC's clean water initiative. The organization is honestly doing such incredible things to help this nation's poor - I can't quit express how blessed I feel to be participating in this trip.
Around 3pm, the group went back to the apartment, where we were treated to massages by three lovely Filipino women. Georgie, ever-the-befriender, had a good conversation with her masseuse, who works long hours/weeks/months to provide for her child. We have encountered so many hard working women on this trip who dedicate their lives to supplying food and shelter to their kids. They are honestly so inspirational.
For dinner, we met David, Mark Daniels (Opportunity International's Marketing Director for Asia Pacific) and his wife at a restaurant near the apartment called Sala Restaurant. The meal was delicious; the conversation, equally delightful. I got to know Georgie better, as we were grouped together at one end of the table. Josh and Georgie know Francis Chan through the Passion Conference/Awakening and are going to stay with him in San Francisco this fall - I'm incredibly jealous. Perhaps I'll send along a copy of Crazy Love to get signed!
I returned to the apartment with a heap of work emails to reply to... it appears that the ENABLE Program has not slowed down despite my absence. I'm off to bed now, looking forward to another day in Manila tomorrow. So much to learn!


In His name,
Ailee

No comments:

Post a Comment